[Advaita-l] [advaitin] The nature of mUlAvidyA as per mUlAvidyAvAdins

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:57:25 EST 2022

Hari Om,

A shloka by Sureshwar puts to rest all confusions regarding nature of avidyA

अस्य द्वैतेन्द्रजालस्य यदुपादानकारणम्।
अज्ञानं तदुपाश्रित्य ब्रह्मकारणमुच्यते।।
(BrihadAraNyaka BhAshya VArtika by SureshwarAchArya)

In this important shloka which is quoted by several AchAryAs of advaita
tradition including NeelakaNtha, Madhusudana Saraswati etc,
SureshwarAchArya states the following:-

The material cause of this magical duality is ajnAna. Brahman is said to be
cause on account of the superimposition of that ajnAna (in Brahman).

People who posit ajnAna to be abhAva need to explain how abhAva can be
upAdAna kAraNam (of anything).

Regards.
Sudhanshu Shekhar.

On Wed, 30 Nov, 2022, 7:08 am Jaishankar Narayanan via Advaita-l, <