[Advaita-l] Paul Hacker on Avidya in Brahma Sutras

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Mon May 16 01:07:17 EDT 2022

Namaste
On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 11:31 PM Michael Chandra Cohen <
michaelchandra108 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sri Venkatesh, pranam. I don't know how you can say that mulAvidya - the
> material seed, present in deepsleep, a bhavarupa shakti -  is not
> considered in traditional circles to be the cause of the world and thus
> "relatively real". Here is a link to a recent eminent encyclopedic entry
> repeatedly referring to a relative real satta.

Kindly read your own reply above. If Mula Avidya is said to be
Vyavaharikasatta or relatively real then where is the problem? Nobody said
Mula Avidya is Paramarthikasatta. The tradition says it is Bhava Rupa
because you cannot say the world has evolved from a total Abhava. Bhava
Rupa means that is not Abhava only. It does not mean it is Absolutely real
like Brahman. The opponents of Mula Avidya principle shout  and argue as if
the traditionalists said it is  Paramarthika. Nobody said that.