[Advaita-l] Pratyavaha

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 11:00:32 EDT 2022

Namaste

Failure to do Nitya Karma will lead to Pratyavaya Dosha for all excluding
Sanyasis. Dvijas have to do Nitya Karma compulsorily. It is not optional.

Adi Sankara’s argument is for Sanyasis renouncing all Karma. Not for
Brahmacharis and Grihasthas.

On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 at 7:32 PM Anand N via Advaita-l <

> Namaste,
>
> Failure to do the nitya karma is said to lead to Pratyavaha Dosha.
> I have understood this to be from the purva mimamsa and is also accepted by
> Advaitins.
> I also hear, for e.g. that the current state of the environment is because
> humans became greedy
> and do not follow any of the samanya dharma, which has led to Pratyavaha.
>
> But I have also heard that Sankara rejects this in the final analysis.
> Now I want to understand the context in which it is being rejected.
> Is it because, from no action being done, there cannot be a negative effect
> of Pratyavaha?
> Is it like saying, I did not do anything either right or wrong, hence there
> can be no effect of
> dosha being born out of it?
>
> Is there a clear standpoint as to if it is accepted or rejected by
> Advaitins?
>
> Om Namo Narayanaya,
> Anand

Regards