[Advaita-l] saMkShepa rAmAyaNa 1 - upodghAta

jaldhar at braincells.com jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Apr 4 01:26:42 EDT 2022

After arati, I was talking with my children about various topics and
the subject of rAma navami coming up arose.  I decided to study rAmAyaNa
for my benefit and theirs.

the rAmAyaNa is an epic of approximately 24,000 shlokas.  The first 100
shlokas give a synopsis of the whole work.  This is known as saMkShepa
rAmAyana and also bAla rAmAyaNa as it is a good introductory text for
children learning sanskrit.  Over the next 7 days culminating on the
navami day itself, I intend to post my own translation of these 100
together with notes.  As usual I welcome feedback and corrections to
anything I may have got wrong.

This installment will be the first 7 shlokas which form an introduction.

तपःस्वाध्याय निरतं तपस्वी वाग्विदां वरम् ।
नारदं परिपप्रच्छ वाल्मीकिर्मुनिपुंगवम् ॥१॥

”The ascetic valmIki inquired of nArada, preeminent among the sages ever
engaged in austerities and the study of the Vedas and best among the
eloquent.” (1)

को न्वस्मिन्सांप्रतं लोके गुणवान्कश्च वीर्यवान् ।
धर्मज्ञशच कृतज्ञशच सत्यवाक्यो धृढव्रतः ॥२॥

"Who in this world lives today endowed with excellent qualities, prowess,
knowledge of dharma, gratitude [1], truthfulness and firmness in his
vows?(2)

[1] who never forgets even the smallest favor done for him by others.

चारित्रेण च को युक्तः सर्व भूतेषु को हितः ।
  विद्वान्कः कः समर्थश्च कश्चैकप्रियदर्शनः ॥३॥

“Who is that one gifted with good conduct, given to the wellbeing of all
living creatures, learned in all things that are to be known, capable of
doing things which others can not do and singularly handsome?”(3)

आत्मवान्को जितक्रोधो द्युतिमान्कोऽनसूयकः ।
  कस्य बिभ्यति देवाश्च जातरोषस्य संयुगे ॥४॥

“Who (among men) is self-restrained?[1] Who has conquered anger? Who is
endowed with brilliance and free from envy? Who is that who when excited
to wrath even the devatAs, are afraid of (let alone foes)?”

[1] Atmavant is an interesting word.  Literally it means “one who has an
Atma.”  But doesn’t everyone have an Atma?  Yes, but specifically it means
one who is always abiding in Atman.  The characteristic of such a one is
they are unswayed by the vagaries of mind and senses.

एतदिच्छाम्यहं श्रोतुं परं कौतूहलं हि मे ।
  महर्षे त्वं समर्थोऽसि ज्ञातुमेवंविधं नरम् ॥५॥

“O mahaR^iShi, if such a man exists, you are competant to know.  If so, I
would like to hear you tell me.  Indeed great is my curiosity”

श्रुत्वा चैतत्त्रिलोकज्ञो वाल्मीकेर्नारदो वचः ।
  श्रूयतामिति चामंत्र्य प्रहृष्टो वाक्यमब्रवीत् ॥६॥

“Having heard these words by vAlmIki, nArada, knower of the three
worlds[1], said with delight "Listen to me." and invited him to take his
seat. And then he spoke:”

[1] nArada is the son of brahma, mind-born thus purely sAttvika.  As his
father was preparing to perform creation at the beginning of the
yuga-chakra, he asked nArada to help.  But he refused, saying “the jIvas
who will be trapped in saMsAra will suffer birth after birth filled with
pain and suffering.  Better to concentrate the mind on shrI hari than to
perform such an act.”  Brahma grew angry and cursed  nArada to wander
through the worlds beholding creation.  But nArada was pleased.  He said,
“Actually you have given me a blessing because now I will not be attached
to any place or person” And he added “But you who spoke through anger will
as a result not be worshipped any more by men.”  This is why everywhere we
have mandirs for viShNu and mahAdeva but hardly any for brahma.  It shows
how even the mightiest will suffer from the ill-effects of desire and
anger.

बहवो दुर्लभाश्चैव ये त्वया कीर्तिता गुणाः ।
  मुने वक्ष्ष्याम्यहं बुद्ध्वा तैर्युक्तः श्रूयतां नरः ॥७॥

"Rare indeed are men endowed with the many qualities you have described. O
sage I shall tell you of one man I have come to know of who fits that
description. Listen carefully.”