[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 04:45:59 EDT 2021

Namaste
I don't recall seeing any exact reference to this.

The statement below is by arthApatti. If mahAvAkya shravaNam leads to jnAna
and that has already happened, but jnAna hasn't arisen, it follows that
there must be some pratibandha, obstacle, to its rise. If later, something
removes that obstacle and the samskAra from prior vedAnta sAdhana is also
activated, jnAna can arise.

We are only discussing the possibility of such a thing, not saying this is
how it will happen.

Even though this is not a direct reference, in 6.43 of the Bhagavat Gita,
Shankaracharya says:

तत्र योगिनां कुले तं बुद्धिसंयोगं बुद्ध्या संयोगं बुद्धिसंयोगं लभते
पौर्वदेहिकं पूर्वस्मिन् देहे भवं पौर्वदेहिकम् । यतते च प्रयत्नं च
करोति ततः तस्मात् पूर्वकृतात् संस्कारात् भूयः बहुतरं संसिद्धौ
संसिद्धिनिमित्तं हे कुरुनन्दन ॥
४३ ॥

and Anandagiri comments on the word prayatna as प्रयत्नः
श्रवणाद्यनुष्ठानविषयः.

The buddhisamyoga in the verse is the samskAra of shravaNa etc from the
prior birth. Because of the samskAra from the prior birth, he engages in
more sAdhana now to attain the jnAna that he couldn't attain before.

If this is true for the recollection of shravaNa done from a prior birth,
it must be more so for the recollection from a shravaNa done in the same
birth.

Regards,
Venkatraghavan