[Advaita-l] [advaitin] Yet another Mahavakya in the Brihadaranyaka Upanishad

Vinodh vinodh.iitm at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 07:46:01 EDT 2021

Sri Venkatraghavan ji and Sri Prasad ji, thank you for the clarification
that knowing does not involving any desire (or will) of the knower. It
seems to make sense, especially with Dayanand Saraswathi's examples. In the
video, he points to a cup and says "this is a paper cup". That this is a
paper cup does not depend on the will or desire of the knower. As Sri
Venkatraghavan ji had also mentioned earlier in this thread, Shankaracharya
has made a similar observation about knowing:
ज्ञानं तु प्रमाणजन्यम् । प्रमाणं च यथाभूतवस्तुविषयम् ।
Whereas knowledge is born from a pramANa. pramANa has as its object, the
thing as it is.
अतो ज्ञानं कर्तुमकर्तुमन्यथा वा कर्तुमशक्यम् ।
Therefore it is not possible for there to be a choice with regard to
something being known, unknown, or known in a different way.
केवलं वस्तुतन्त्रमेव तत् ; न चोदनातन्त्रम् , नापि पुरुषतन्त्रम् ;
It is subject only to the thing. It is neither subject to an injunction,
nor is it subject to a person's will.
As sravana (which is a form of knowing through hearing) is not dependent on
the will (or desire) of the listener, it appears therefore that it is not
similar to manana and nididhyasana, which do require the person to perform
a particular action through his will.

Moreover, the last email by Sri Venkatraghavan ji gives a very nice analogy
of manana and nididhyasana being angas (parts or supporting causes) of the
main cause of Brahmajnana, which is sravanam (which is the angi). In this
way, it does appear that manana and nididhyasana, while required (in most
cases) for the fruition of sravana into Brahmajnana, are not necessarily in
the same category as sravana.

However, in this context, another question arises. If knowing does not
involve any desire of the knower, why does the Brahma Sutra start by
talking about the desire to know Brahman (brahma-jijnasa)? How does one
interpret this given that Acharya says "ज्ञानं कर्तुमकर्तुमन्यथा वा
कर्तुमशक्यम् ।" (it is not possible for there to be a choice with regard to
something being known, unknown, or known in a different way)?

Namaskaram 🙏