[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Mon May 17 04:07:35 EDT 2021

Namaste Sudhanshuji

Shankara Jayanti Greetings.
शंकर जयंती शुभाभिनंदनानि

I had read your article in hindi and the english translation which you
meticulously translated and thank you for the same.

Since the issue at hand is of a possible mismatch between empirical
observations and VP regarding distant objects, I wanted to draw your
attention to the following.

You had written that when a distant object is seen even while another
observer near that object notes that it is no longer existent, that is
because the shabda and tejas inhering in the object do not travel but
continue at their point of origin. Its only their gross
mainfestation/prabhAva/ abhivyangya/taraMga that propagates as a wave. That
is why we can still perceive the shabda/tejas even after the object may not
be physically seen as existent, by a observer located near the origin. If
my restatement of what you wrote is correct,  then a few questions arise.

What in your view is the role of this abhivyangya/taranga in vRtti
formation?

Also the persistence of shabda/tejas at the point of origin after the
destruction of the physical object seems to be not fixed for all observers.
If an observer at a distance stops seeing this subtle tejas after the
tarangas pass by him (in cases where the object gets destroyed) , then that
means the role of these gross dhvani/light tarangas at the golakas is
critical for perception of shabda/tejas. Greater clarity maybe needed for
role of these propagating abhivyangya. If they are modified or changed
along the way (lets say), that seems to change the characteristics of the
shabda of the object as perceived by the distant observer. That would
pretty much invite the charge of representationalism since the tarangas
were only modified along the way and not at the point of origin. So the
mind should have formed the correct vRtti since the shabda at origin is
undisturbed. But experience shows that the vRtti we form is wholly
influenced by any changes made to these tarangas on the way to us. This
should not have been the case if the mind can envelop the shabda/tejas at
the origin point itself. So Chitta-ji would suggest that, the GYAnam of the
abhivyanjana gained from these tarangas is only representational knowledge
of the object and not direct knowledge. Like we hear someone's voice on the
phone, the speaker in our headset merely recreates/synthesizes the original
speaker's voice, although we may feel we are hearing the actual speaker.

Broadly I am still inclined to agree with you that there is no irredeemable
problem with VP model and even with the time delays etc., that are claimed
to be observed . I hope to elaborate in some later mail.

Om
Raghav

On Mon, 17 May, 2021, 6:45 am Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l, <