[Advaita-l] Perception in lightning

Sudhanshu Shekhar sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com
Sun May 16 08:20:10 EDT 2021

Chandramouli ji,

Shabda gets generated in the AkAsha-avachinna-by-drum. Since drum does not
move, the AkAsha-avachchinna-by-drum does not move. Hence shabda inherent
in AkAsha-avachchinna-by-drum does not move.

Shabda does not move precisely for this reason as explained in the attached
screenshot taken from VedAnta ParibhAsha. Similar is what is written in
Siddhanta Bindu TIkA. VivaraNa screenshot also says that shabda does not
travel through veechi-tarang. But the exact reason of non-travel of shabda
explained in the tIkA of VP which is attached. Because shabda inheres in
AkAsha-avachchinna-by-drum and since drum does not move, the delimited
AkAsha does not move and hence the inherent shabda does not move.

The model explained by you has the dosha that it will not be shabda
inherent in AkAsha-avachchinna-by-drum which is perceievd but some other
shabda inherent in some other AkAsha (and not AkAsha-avachchinna-by-drum).
To attribute drum-sound in that is illusion and not perception -- this is
how VP explains.

Regards.
Show