[Advaita-l] Fwd: Perception in lightning

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 09:20:09 EDT 2021

Namaste Venkatraghavan ji

Yes some elaboration and tweaking of traditional epistemological
explanations is in order. There is no advaita hAni at all in doing so.

What would you say about the idea that the idea of projection/extension of
the mind happens *after* the golaka receives the prabhaava. (That would
seem logical enough).  *And* it (going/projecting/extending out to the
viShaya) refers to the formation of the pratyaxa manovRtti experienced by
us as a *3D world extended/projected* out in front of us.

Different indriyas and corresponding viShayas have different dharmas, no
doubt.
The experiences created by other senses like GhrANa are not explained as
involving this process of mind extending etc. only because the manovRtti
that arises in their case does not give us a 3D experience of a world
extended in space around us.

Even if we contend that the golaka receives the prabhaav to trigger vRtti
formation, the mind extending outward can still be held to happen. Its just
that it (extension) happens subjectively in our 'cidAkAsha' - in our
subjective pratyaxa experience of space.

This (our different experience of chakshu/shrotra compared to the rest of
the senses) is the only reason why in siddhAnta, there was felt a need to
talk of mind extending to the location of the distant 'object' (rUpa).

Om
Raghav