[Advaita-l] Commentary on Ramana's Forty Verses

Ven Balakrishnan ventzu at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 15:09:21 EDT 2021

Four responses:

1) I’m just replaying your quote.  Do you believe Ramana was exaggerating for effect?  What was his intention in writing such a strongly worded phrase - surely not to mislead?

2) Recall that Bhagavan when he arrived at Tiruvannamallai, sat indifferent to his body and the insects biting him, let alone requirements for food, for days on end.  He had to be force fed.

3) Lakshmana Sarma - who received personal instruction on Ulladu Narpadu from Bhagavan - wrote this in HIS commentary on this verse:

“The knowledge born out of personal experience that worldly life is riddled with sorrow turns one through dispassion towards nivritti marga, the path of withdrawal from activity or of renunciation.

4) Then there is Gaudapada, MK 2.37:

“He should have this body and the Atman as his support and depend upon chances, ie he should be satisfied with those things for his physical wants, that chance brings him”

Sankara underscores this in his bhasya to this verse
“He entirely depends on circumstances, that is to say, he maintains his body with whatever food or strips of cloth, etc are brought to him by mere chance”

Hope that clarifies what ‘dead to themselves and their possessions’ means.