[Advaita-l] analogy

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 07:08:31 EDT 2021

Thank you Kaushik for this very novel analogy; it fits the Vedant view of
vyavaharika and paramarthika realities. I am reminded of the river and
ocean identity taught in the Chandogya Upanishad as part of the the
teaching of the Truth. The rivers have distinct names but then once they
merge with the ocean, the names and forms that form their distinct
identities are no longer there. So the Upanishad teaches that the rivers
have their origin that is their source in the ocean and finally end up as
non different from the ocean upon merging with the source. Thus while the
difference or duality is only and appearance, the truth is the nondual.

Regards

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021, 12:53 pm Kaushik Chevendra via Advaita-l, <