[Advaita-l] Is Advaita a Framework?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 06:50:56 EDT 2021

On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 3:28 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Subbu ji
> It was an interesting reference from shri vidyAraMya's dIpikA(?)

Namaste Raghav ji,

This is not the dipika (which is elusive;  not to be found, though it is
said there is one).  This is his very detailed bhashya or vyakhyanam for
all the three valli-s of the Taittiriya Upanishad. It is printed as the
'Sayana Bhashya' for the 7th, 8th and 9th prapaThaka of the Taittiriya
Aranyaka.

> that the
> shaivAgama categories like nAda, bindu, kaLA etc, are compatible with
> Advaita sRShTi prakriya as referring to the earliest stages prior to even
> aakaasha creation.
>
> Also, I understand the quote of Acharya Sriharsha refers to any one Advaita
> prakriyA advancing arguments against certain ideas asserted in another
> Advaita prakriyA even while aiming to convey the same aikya-GYAnam.

The work of Sriharsha is basically a refutation of the Nyaya school and
there he makes the cited statement.  Yes, as you say, the purport of the
Sriharsha verse is in saying that all arguments are in the vyavaharik plane
and not in the paramartha view.

> As in -
> "It is the folly of someone if he attaches himself with something, some
> 'ism'. Sriharsha, the author
> of the 'Khandana-khanda-khAdya' says:
> अभीष्टशसद्धावशप खंडनानांअखशडडराज्ञाशमव नैवमाज्ञा ।
> तताशन कस्मान्न याशभलाषंसैद्धाशन्तके ऽप्यध्वशन योजयध्वम्॥

The verse as copied above, is a distorted version of the pdf.  Here is the
correct form:

अभीष्टसिद्धावपि खंडनानां अखण्डिराज्ञामिव नैवमाज्ञा ।
तत्तानि कस्मान्न यथाभिलाषं सैद्धान्तिकेऽप्यध्वनि योजयध्वम् ॥

warm regards
subbu