[Advaita-l] GYAna-gata pratyaxa vs. viShayagata-pratyaxa

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 03:26:44 EDT 2021

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Reg  << 1. In 'bhUtale ghataH na', viShayagata-pratyaxatvaM condition is
satisfied, you said, because antaHkaraNam vRtti extends to the viShaya
desha. I am able to see that the text also asserts viShayagata-pratyaxatvaM
is satisfied in anupalabdhi case due to pramAtR-abhinnatvaM condition being
satisfied. But this brings me back to the *original question* of

"When, if at all, is GYAnagata-pratyaxatvam condition met, even while
viShayagata-pratyaxatva condition is *not* met?"

2. Is not the antaHkaraNa extending to viShaya seen in all cases of
GYAnagata-pratyaxatvaM condition being met as well? >>,

By definition, GYAnagata-pratyaxatvam implies condition of
 viShayagata-pratyaxatva is met with. When condition of
 viShayagata-pratyaxatva is  not met with, associated GYAna is categorized
as parOxa.

Reg  << Are sAxI-vedya cases of sukha etc. counted by VP as cases of
GYAnagata-pratyaxa but not viShayagata-pratyaxa? Or does sukha etc also
satisfy both the criteria of GYAnagata-pratyaxatvam and
viShayagata-pratyaxatvaM? >>,

This is explicitly answered in VP itself.  Sukha etc also satisfy both the
criteria of GYAnagata-pratyaxatvam and viShayagata-pratyaxatvaM.

<< सुखाद्यवच्छिन्नचैतन्यस्य तद्वृत्त्यवच्छिन्नचैतन्यस्य च
नियमेनैकदेशस्थितोपाधिद्वयावच्छिन्नत्वात् नियमेन "अहं सुखी" इत्यादिज्ञानस्य
प्रत्यक्षत्वम्  >>

<<  sukhAdyavachChinnachaitanyasya tadvRRittyavachChinnachaitanyasya cha
niyamenaikadeshasthitopAdhidvayAvachChinnatvAt niyamena "ahaM sukhI"
ityAdij~nAnasya pratyakShatvam  >>

Translation (Swami Madhavananda)  << Again, since the Consciousness limited
by happiness etc.  and the Consciousness limited by the mental state
relating to them are invariably limited by the two limiting adjuncts that
occupy the same space, the knowledge, “ I am happy, “ is invariably a
perception >>.

Regards
Chandramouli

Virus-free.