[Advaita-l] GYAna-gata pratyaxa vs. viShayagata-pratyaxa

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 04:12:30 EDT 2021

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Reg  << I was of the understanding (based on VP itself) that in the two
cases below
of

1. akhaNDartha vAkyas like so'yam devaduttaH, dashamastvamasi etc.

2. anupalalabdhi of bhUtale ghataH nAsti,

there is knowledge which is pratyaxa (GYAna-gata pratyaxatvM holds) but the
viShayas themselves viz., (aikyam and ghaTAbhAvaH respectively) do not
satisfy the condition for viShayagata-pratyxatvaM.

Is this correct? >>,

Not in my understanding of VP.  In the first illustration, viShaya is not
aikyam but Devadatta who is in front or the tenth person himself as the
case may be. In the second illustration, for anupalabdhi both the absence
of vastu as well as its location are vishayas. Since the antaHkaraNa vRtti
extends to the location (specific bhUtala), condition for
viShayagata-pratyxatvaM is satisfied.

You may like to listen to the following talk (video) by Sri Mani Dravid
Shastri Ji which covers the topic under discussion. Especially at minute 22
onwards.

<<
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZLQHEJmNg4&list=PLWjpkY4mU2RBiuLLk_PwYimZMHt_0XvF9&index=16

Regards
Chandramouli

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <