[Advaita-l] Tattvamasi - 05 (the seed and the banyan tree) / 06 (the salt in water)

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 09:51:16 EDT 2020

Namaste,
We had looked at the examples of rivers and ocean and the tree and its
branches previously. In this session, we look at two further examples - the
seed and the banyan tree and the salt in water associated with the fifth
and sixth time that the teaching "tattvamasi" occurs in the Chandogya
upaniShad.

The siddhikAra establishes the purpose served by each of the examples, and
why there is no incompatibility with abheda being the message conveyed
through these sections. The purpose of the example of the seed and the
banyan tree is to illustrate how it is possible for nirvisheSha brahman to
be the cause of this world of infinite variety. The purpose of the salt in
water example is to convey how it is possible for the cause of the entire
universe to be accessible through one pramANa (shAstra), even when it
is beyond the reach of another pramANa (pratyaksha).

https://youtu.be/ypLmpZNs7FE

Regards,
Venkatraghavan