[Advaita-l] Maya and Avidya

smallpress smallpress at ymail.com
Tue Sep 15 16:03:47 EDT 2020

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 1:54:26 PM EDT, Sudhakar Kabra via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

Read in between lines.
    On Tuesday, September 15, 2020, 12:54:45 AM GMT+5:30, smallpress via Advaita-l <advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org> wrote:

Dear Illustrious Members
Would it be right to say the way the mind of Jiva works to project the world,
>>Mind of Jeeva does not work to project the world. In ignorance he is helplessly bound and cannot help it. It is not a choice.

I did not say Ignorance is a choice. Ignorance is produced in the mind which causes the world to exist for the jiva. Do you agree with that?

>>Maya is the Shakti of Brahman. As such there is no action in Brahman but all these seeming world is the effect of maya.

We don't know quite know how Maya functions but it is shakti that resides in the Brhman, not in the Jiva.
Do you agree with that?

>>Maya is not macrocosmic ignorance.Maya is controlled by Brahman and it is his shakti.
I did not say anything about macrocosmic ignorance. There is no ignorance in Brhman.

Are they both working to veil the same thing?

>> For whom is the veiling? Only for Jeeva because he is under the spell of maya. For Brahman there is no such thing.

The veiling naturally is for the Jiva because that is where Ignorance is, right?
The vieling is also caused by Maya. Ignorance in the Micro level and Maya in the Macro function to veil Reality from Jiva.

Thank you
Soma

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org