[Advaita-l] Penumbral Eclipses

Ravisankar Mayavaram abhayambika at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 20:46:29 EST 2020

Few months ago, Veda Dharma Sasthra Paripalana Sabha had a sadas on
solar eclipse and its observance. It was followed up with another talk
on details on how to observe. It was very useful.

In that context, I learned that the Vedic tradition only considers
umbral eclipses and penumbral portion *does not count*. Even for start
and end times, only the eclipse caused by umbra is counted.  In
addition, traditional panchangas does not even mention an eclipse that
is totally penumbral.

Why is that (some) temples in the  US observe totally penumbral eclipses
and do grahaNa shanti etc.? It is like taking antibiotics even though
you have no bacterial infection. Please correct me if I am wrong. I feel
some of the things like doing pitR tarpaNa etc. during that time may not
even be warranted.

Is my understanding wrong?

Thank you.
Ravi