[Advaita-l] Vedanta in Depression

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 04:48:09 EST 2020

Namaste Mahadevan Ji,

Vairagya and sadhanachatushtaya sampatti is a tall order. It is really not
essential for avoiding or overcoming depression. It is sufficient to
develop certain basic attitudes, even with some effort, for overcoming
this. Be satisfied with life as long as it is at least comfortable. Do not
compare your returns with what others with lesser abilities (in your
assessment) have got. It only means that they are more lucky than yourself
even if not more capable. Remember they have earned it through their better
efforts in earlier lives. That should drive you to do good deeds in the
current life so that you also have a better life in future lives, just like
the ones you envy now. Do not expect too much from life. Contentment is the
best antidote for depression and anxiety. Vedanta and Shastra helps because
they just teach  us this as the starting point. We generally tend to ignore
these and go on to study the later portions. And then get disappointed that
they are of no help in bettering our life. But do continue the studies even
as you try to develop the basic qualities without getting frustrated.

I don’t as a rule advise others. But thought it may help seeing your post.
Please do not misunderstand.This also does not mean that I have succeeded
in developing these qualities. But I do try and it has helped. Even the
attempt is helpful to a large extent in overcoming depression and anxiety.

All the best.
Regards

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 10:30 AM Mahadevan Iyer via Advaita-l <