[Advaita-l] Vedanta in Depression

Venkatesh Murthy vmurthy36 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 00:26:20 EST 2020

Namaste

It is because Vairagya is lacking. Sadhana Catustaya is required first for
Vedanta Study. Most people will simply jump into Vedanta without Sadhana
Catustaya. They have strong attachment to worldly objects, family, career,
money and so on. But it is impossible to become a true Vedanti with
attachments. They will suffer because they are not following Sankara's
teachings on Sadhana Catustaya. Sankara says having attachments and still
desiring Moksha is like trying to cross a river by catching hold of a
crocodile's tail. They are doomed.

Some sharp people know this point. They become Vedantis only for discussing
with others, teaching others, debating with others, scholarly writing and
so on but in private life and private thoughts there is no place for
Vedanta. They may be happy because they do not let Vedanta enter into
personal life. For them Vedanta is a time pass hobby or teaching and making
money from Vedanta. Many University Professors fall into this category.
Vedanta becomes a career and nothing more.

On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 10:20 AM Mahadevan Iyer via Advaita-l <

> Despite learning & rationalizing Vedanta for many years, at times when I
> face the anxieties & shortcomings of Life, I forget all Vedantic knowledge
> & get severely depressed. At times I even question Vedanta. Have anyone
> faced something like this? Have anyone found perpetual peace?
>
> pranams,
> Mahadevan

Regards

-Venkatesh