[Advaita-l] Jaati in Advaita

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 00:42:56 EDT 2020

Babu - PraNAms and thanks for your input.

What you wrote is true. Some daarshanikas call the firstperception as indeterminate - I see something but I do not know what it is.Mother or teacher tells - beta that is a cow. If I see next time another cowwith different colors, and mother says that is also cow, now memory developsand Nyaa Visheshikas call that as jaati.

There also been studies that show the mind stores language on oneside of the brain and figures on the other side - naama one side and ruupa onthe other. Hence when I see a person (ruupa) I cognize him but naama has tocome from different parts of the brain. Hence sometimes we do not remember thename that easily.

It also has been pointed out the Chinese and Japanese language ispictorial and both naama and ruupa are stored on the same side. Hence cognitionand recognition occur faster for them (apparently).

Since the mind works fast, we think that cognition and recognitionoccur at the same time. I do not think Advaita differentiates the two.

Upama is considered as separate pramaana by Advaita.

Hay! it looks like a cow but does not seem to be a cow!

That in a way proves that cognition is different fromrecognition.
Epistemology was developed after Shankara - And Vivvarana andBhamati schools differ to some extent may not be about pratyaksha pramaana buton aparoxa jnaanam; and both of them follow Bhatta Mimamsa's position to someextent on pratyaksha pramaana.
For some reason after I post it I see the words gots joined in the final output.
Hari Om!

Sadananda