[Advaita-l] A question on a dialogue in the Madhaviya

Sri B sriadvaitam at gmail.com
Tue May 19 07:33:57 EDT 2020

Namaskar

It has always intrigued me that among the Trinity, it is Maheswara who is depicted as a grihasta and not either MahaVishnu nor Brahma. Further, Lord Shiva is portrayed as someone who resides in the coldest region; wearing an animal skin; covered with ash and snakes as ornaments. Parvathi is always referred to as ‘wife’ and Ganesha and Karthikeya depicted as two sons. Not only this, this family has a mix of pets each one a predator of the other. All in all Shiva and his clan is perfect representation of a grihasta and the challenges, the conflicts etc. YET, Shiva is the epitome of Sannyasa. His name ‘Shivam’ translates to shantham, achalam, jnanam, tranquility, meaning the Atman. This celestial family is a metaphor to illustrate that Sannyasa is not merely an outward renunciation of material relationships but it signifies that an inner state of being. As Bhagavadpada defines: Jnanam sannyasa lakshanam.  In conclusion, Jnanam is not limited to the sannyasa ashrama. It is ashrama agnostic.

Regards
Sridhar