[Advaita-l] A replica of Adhyasa Bhashya in the Gita Bhashya13.26

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Mon May 4 12:07:38 EDT 2020

Raghav Ji,

Namaste.

I will paraphrase what I wrote earlier in order to simplify matters.

Two definitions for adhyAsa have been given in the Bhashya.

<<  अध्यासो नाम अतस्मिंस्तद्बुद्धिरित्यवोचाम । >>  << adhyAso nAma
atasmiMstadbuddhirityavochAma | >>

and

<< स्मृतिरूपः परत्र
पूर्वदृष्टावभासः >>  << smRRitirUpaH paratra pUrvadRRiShTAvabhAsaH >>

There is the fundamental superimposition of avidyA on The Self which is the
primary cause of all Creation. This adhyAsa is covered under the first
definition given above.

Then we have the superimposition of the products of avidyA, like the
ego,BMI,objects etc, on The Self as opposed to that of avidyA itself. Both
the definitions given above are applicable to this. All types of
combinations of vishaya,vishayi,their dharmas etc are covered under this.

I presume this clears all the doubts.

You may also like to refer to Sidhanta Bindu of Sri MS translated with
notes and commentary by Sri PC Divanji for clarity. Many of the points I
have made in this thread are based on this.
Regards

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 9:06 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Chandramouli ji
> In my previous mail I had interchanged the two ideas mentioned by you.. My
> apologies for the same. To set things right you can ignore my last mail
> altogether.
>
> In order to check if I got you right -
> You wrote that
> jIva Ishvara bheda adhyAsa is smRitirUpa paratra pUrva dRShTAvabhAsaH? And
> this is also the same as vishaya dharma-s of mortality, smallness etc.,
> superimposed on the viShayin? We superimpose alpatvaM and martyatvaM
> (viShaya dharmas) on viShayI leading to the viShayI being considered
> different from Ishvara.
>

> If this is correct, then -
>
> This smRiti-rUpa definition does not apply to the case of viShayI dharmas
> of ananda etc., superimposed on viShayas?  My past habits/memories of
> taking Ananda as coming from an object makes me again and again go after
> the object for Ananda. Can we not apply smRiti rUpa paratra
> pUrvadRShTAvabhAsaH for the adhyAsa of ananda etc., on objects?
>
> Thank you for your inputs.
>
> Om

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>