[Advaita-l] शास्त्रविधानस्य उत्सृजनम् (BG 17.1)

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:32:56 EDT 2020

Namaste.

Three types of human beings are recognized. First are those who are aware
of the shastras but due to lack of faith in them act according to their own
sweet will and pleasure. They are termed as ones endowed with AsurI
tendencies or asurAs. The second category of human beings are those who
know the shastras and with abundant faith perform actions in accordance
with the same. They are termed as ones endowed with daIvI (दैवी) tendencies
or as daIvIs (दैवी). The third category are those who have no particular
concerns regarding shastras, but have firm faith in their elders and
accordingly perform acts in accordance with whatever their elders were
performing irrespective of whether they conformed to shastras or not. The
traits of both the first two categories are to be found in this third
category in different degrees.

The first two categories are covered in Chapter 16 of BG while the third
category forms the subject matter for Chapter 17.

Thus there is no contradiction between the verses mentioned in the post as
they pertain to different categories of human beings.
Regards

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 12:51 PM Venkata sriram P via Advaita-l <