[Advaita-l] Tattvabodha of Adi Sankaracharya - 17

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 18 23:36:18 EDT 2020

 Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com wrote:

> Namaste Kartik ji

Namaste.

> What is the contemporary understanding of Prana?
>
> The question is valid since prANa as the vital air or life force is
> accepted by most Indian darshanas like sAMkhya and yoga etc. This implies
> it was a matter for anumAna pramANa or inference. We do not need to invoke
> shruti to establish the vyAvahArika entity called prANa. If that is
> accepted, then we have the following matter to ponder.
>
> Modern Science too uses various types of inferences and denies the
> observable existence of anything called prANa. They invoke occams razor
> (the principle of parsimony, gaurava-doSha-rAhityam) to negate the need to
> postulate prANa.
>
> Can we advance arguments to assert the existence of prANa?

Maybe I'm missing something here, because "prANa" is simply the air that one
takes into one's body by breathing in. It is believed that if one can control
the rhythm of this breathing, the control of one's mind becomes easy. This is
something that is "realized" by the practice of prANAyAma.

Hence I don't see any reason to elaborate on the *existence* of prANa.