[Advaita-l] Tattvabodha of Adi Sankaracharya - 17

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 02:27:06 EDT 2020

Namaste Kartik ji

What is the contemporary understanding of Prana?

The question is valid since prANa as the vital air or life force is
accepted by most Indian darshanas like sAMkhya and yoga etc. This implies
it was a matter for anumAna pramANa or inference. We do not need to invoke
shruti to establish the vyAvahArika entity called prANa. If that is
accepted, then we have the following matter to ponder.

Modern Science too uses various types of inferences and denies the
observable existence of anything called prANa. They invoke occams razor
(the principle of parsimony, gaurava-doSha-rAhityam) to negate the need to
postulate prANa.

Can we advance arguments to assert the existence of prANa?

I have heard of arguments from 'negative entropy' etc. I do appreciate that
when we explore the scientific explanations of the life pricess, we should
not reduce prANa to another physical entity. That would be self-defeating.
Rather we look for physiological or life processes which cannot be
explained away merely with a materialistic paradigm of the universe. That
would atleast make some space for postulating prANa.

For example some leads might be from photosynthesis being not entirely
explainable using simplistic 19th century molecular chemistry based on
billiard ball materialism. As in...
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/05/180521131756.htm

Om
Raghav

On Tue, 14 Jul, 2020, 12:51 AM S Jayanarayanan via Advaita-l, <