[Advaita-l] Why did Brahman create the world?

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 01:42:48 EST 2020

Namaste Raghavji,

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 9:43 AM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> I was just the thinking it would be helpful to see the sAyaNa bhAShya for
> that particular Rk mantra को अद्धा वेद क इह प्रवोचत् । कुत आजाता कुत इयं
> विसृष्टिः  and you posted it.
>
> Thank you for that Praveen ji.

(All thanks to Yoganandaji and his team. I've just copy-pasted, fixing just
a typo or two from http://rigveda.sanatana.in/)

> Then what is the Advaita teaching all about. I understand it to be - "the
> mind cannot do viShayIkaraNam (objectification or a concrete
> conceptualization) of jagatkAraNam and how it 'evolved' in the initial
> stages to "become" jagat. But it's still possible for the shuddha
> anatahkaraNam, when exposed to the mahAvAkya teaching to resolve in to it's
> source and own up "i am brahman" by way of laxyArtham of that mahAvAkya.
>
> The mystery of creation remains but the mind's doubts about AtmA and the
> sources of sorrow are destroyed thereby.

Exactly so, that is why that which is created after (if at all there is a
created and an after), cannot ever know the former. Who knows is always the
former; the former knows the former as there is no one else! Or sticking to
the context, one who knows doesn't know as to why the creation! As Bhagavan
Gaudapadacharya concludes देवस्यैष स्वभावोऽयमाप्तकामस्य का स्पृहा।

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */