[Advaita-l] Why did Brahman create the world?

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 20:43:14 EST 2020

I was just the thinking it would be helpful to see the sAyaNa bhAShya for
that particular Rk mantra को अद्धा वेद क इह प्रवोचत् । कुत आजाता कुत इयं
विसृष्टिः  and you posted it.

Thank you for that Praveen ji.

Prima facie, it's an arthavAda for durviGYetvam of jagatkAraNam.

But there is also a hetu given  for the invalidity (anupapannatvam) of the
mind trying to know how creation started viz.,
यद्भौतिकं सर्जनं सृष्टिस्तेनार्वागर्वाचीनाः कृताः। भूतसृष्टेः पश्चाज्जाता
इत्यर्थः।
viz., an entity (possessed of mind etc) which was necessarily created later
in the sequence of creation, will find it impossible to conceptually
visualise how his own creation happened.

Then what is the Advaita teaching all about. I understand it to be - "the
mind cannot do viShayIkaraNam (objectification or a concrete
conceptualization) of jagatkAraNam and how it 'evolved' in the initial
stages to "become" jagat. But it's still possible for the shuddha
anatahkaraNam, when exposed to the mahAvAkya teaching to resolve in to it's
source and own up "i am brahman" by way of laxyArtham of that mahAvAkya.

The mystery of creation remains but the mind's doubts about AtmA and the
sources of sorrow are destroyed thereby.

Namaste

Raghav

On Fri, 31 Jan, 2020, 2:13 AM Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l, <