[Advaita-l] Abedha

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 08:38:18 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghavji,

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 4:32 PM Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l <

> Is the accusation of anyonyAshraya doSha leveled by dvaita against Advaita?

 Yes. In one debate on tattvamasi/ atattvamasi, it was leveled against Mani
Dravid Shastri ji saying that things have to  be interpreted in the
context. The tAtparya has to be understood.

Could you please elaborate on whether it's wrong to interpret individual
> mantras from an overall advaitic vision (by the Acharya's) and also teach
> the overall tAtparya to students by sequentially teaching individual
> mantras to arrive at a coherent and self-consistent advaita darshana? The
> anyonyAshraya doSha is avoided, as I understand, because the first (top
> down method) is by an sAmpradAyavit acharya while the second bottom up
> process is what happens in the students mental/spiritual journey when
> taught by a sAmpradAyavit.

There is no anyonyAshraya as the mantras are learnt as taught by an Acharya
who already knows the tAtparya as taught. The ShaDliMga analysis is only to
justify our interpretation. Even if we reinterpret the statements earlier
misunderstood or superficially understood as per the tAtparya, there is no
such doSha. This is also why multiple rounds of study across levels helps
get a firmer understanding; mUla, followed by bhAShya, then TIkA, and
TippaNa. That no shruti or smRti should contradict another shruti is
well-known, at least in Advaita Vedanta.

> The existence of the Advaita Guru paraMparA rules out anyonyAshraya doSha
> in the process of shruti tAtparya nischaya - is my understanding.

Undoubtedly so.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */