[Advaita-l] Fwd: Is empathy a function of ahamkara?

श्रीमल्ललितालालितः lalitaalaalitah at lalitaalaalitah.com
Sat Aug 8 09:09:54 EDT 2020

Chandramouli,
We just tend to say that it is avayava and which can be recognized by only
due process.
That avayava has tAdAtmya with whatever is generated by them.

Raghav,

> I understand the distinction here. Since the avidyA vRttis are there, we
> should say "the vRttis are experienced" but being sAxI pratyaxa ;

The ignorance, pleasure, etc. are experienced by sAxI which has
upAdhi(avidyA-vRtti). This avidyA-vRtti or sAxI(which is consciouness
attched to that) causes the saMskAra and then we remember after we wake up.

The avidyA-vRtti is directly illuminated by chaitanya. But, anything
directly illuminated by chaitanya doesn't become vyavahArayogya, similar to
mano-vRtti-s in jAgrat, etc. We need some other pramANa, like arthApatti,
etc. to make them appear clearly.

> we do not
> experience pleasure and ignorance then since that needs antaHkaraNa.

Wrong.
We do experience pleasure and ignorance, etc. through avidyA-vRtti or in
other words sAxI(remember previous note added.).

> The
> vRttis leave a saMskAra which is recollected (smRti) upon waking, as
> pleasure and ignorance.

The avidyA-vRtti-s is janya and hence it ends and leaves a saMskAra. That
helps generate smRti of pleasure, ignonce, etc. while we wake up.

*श्रीमल्ललितालालितः*www.lalitaalaalitah.com