[Advaita-l] Is empathy a function of ahamkara?

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 03:40:27 EDT 2020

Namaste Raghav Ji,

Please excuse me if I have made a mistake in attributing to you what I have
done here. I always have a problem in understanding who is saying what in
in-line responses.

I presume the following statement is yours

<<  You mean the vyAvahArika entities (kaaryas) are all in tAdAtmya
sambandha
with their upAdAna kAraNam  >>.

The answer is a clear NO. As per Advaita SidhAnta, vyAvahArika entities
(kaaryas) can and do have a kArya-kAraNa sambandha with their upAdAna
kAraNam in many cases. Cause and Effect sambandha.Not necessarily always
tAdAtmya sambandha. Milk transforming into curds is one such case. They do
not exist simultaneously at the same time. They are observed or experienced
separately from each other. TadAtmya sambandha is spoken of only in those
cases where two entities originate simultaneously from an identical cause.
In such cases, the two entities are never observed separately from each
other. They are always experienced or observed together. Example is a red
rose. In advaita (and mImAmsa), substance and quality have tadAtmya
sambandha.
Regards