[Advaita-l] Is empathy a function of ahamkara?

Venkatraghavan S agnimile at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 14:31:17 EDT 2020

The relationship between ahamkAra and mamakAra is not one of cause and
effect.

However, ahamkAra necessarily precedes mamakAra.

The context of making the second point was in examining what the original
questioner meant by the phrase "a function of" in his sentence "One’s own
suffering can be seen as a function of ahamkara".

I interpreted that sentence to mean "only when there is the presence of
ahamkAra, can there be the notion of anything as one's own (ie mamakAra)",
because otherwise I could not make sense of the original statement.

No cause effect relationship between ahamkAra and mamakAra was intended, in
fact that was considered as one of the possible meanings of the phrase
"function of" and dismissed.

Regards
Venkatraghavan

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020, 22:27 H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l, <