[Advaita-l] How is an object perceived.

Kuntimaddi Sadananda kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 06:58:46 EDT 2020

Chandramouliji - PraNAms

I did not mean that external light can be perceived withoutconsciousness illuminating it.

If that is what was conveyed by my writing, my apologies.

What I said is analogy of light and the light of consciousness. Idid not mean that they are equal.

My statements again.

Pure light cannot be perceived unless an object reflects it. Lookat the full moon in the night. Without the moon present and reflecting thesunlight, I cannot recognize the presence of the sunlight, where the moon is.Between the moon and another planet, sunlight is there but no object is thereto reflect it, for us to recognize its presence.

In the same way, the all-pervading, ever-present light ofconsciousness cannot be recognized unless it is reflected by mind or by vRittior by both.

This point is very important since many have wrong notions aboutself-realization.  Pure consciousness does not need to realize and themind being jadam cannot realize. It is again the mind with chidaabhaasathat has to recognize cognitively. While looking at the thoughts that are illuminatedby the light of consciousness, or even for nirvikalpaka samadhi, the thoughtlessmind that is reflecting the pure consciousness.  The analogy similar to recognizing thesunlight while seeing the moonlight.

Just as I am not paying attention to the original sunlight whilelooking at the moonlight, I do not pay attention to the light of consciousnessthat is reflecting the Vritti. I am getting carried away by the contents of theVritti and the light of consciousness that illumining it.

Meditation is then shifting the attention (of the mind) from the contentsof the vRitti to the light of consciousness that is reflected by the vRitti. Unlikethe normal light, reflected light of consciousness is the knowledge.

Hence in principle, there are no disagreements here.

The question is only, ‘Does the mind has to go out and grasp theobject for me to see?’.  I think, thatpart was an adaptation of the meemamsa position.

Once the vRitti forms, the rest of the VP statements follow.

Of course, there is also another question related to theobservation of 'Now' and 'Here'. VP states that time and spatial coordinatesare recognized by that.

There is no time in 'Now' as time requires two sequentialobservations. For space what is required is observation of two simultaneouspoints. When I am seeing a pot, I am seeing space since simultaneously I amseeing several points on the pot. Hence space is perceived. On the other hand,time still needs two sequential observations. In a continuous observation timecan be defined as one digitizes the continuous observations.

Shree Dr. Ramesh Vemuri is an expert in this.

Hari Om!

Sadananda