[Advaita-l] How is an object perceived.

H S Chandramouli hschandramouli at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 06:15:44 EDT 2020

Pranams Sri Sadananda Ji,

I think there is a fundamental difference in our respective understanding.
In all perception  of objects, the Subject Consciousness “ I “ should
coincide with the Object defined Consciousness or Consciousness limited by
the Object for knowledge of the object to take place. It is always the
 चैतन्यं (chaitanyaM), as limited by the respective upAdhIs,  that is
involved in  the process of gaining knowledge of objects. Not the Objects
per se. This is my understanding. I am not sure your reasoning accords with
this. I could be misunderstanding your view point. Please clarify before I
proceed further.

Terminology may not pass the test of rigour. But I hope the intent is clear
enough. I may be pardoned for laxity in this regard.

Pranams and Regards

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 1:54 PM Kuntimaddi Sadananda <
kuntimaddisada at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Chandramouliji - PraNAms
>
> Just some thoughts.
>
> I think that the idea of mind going out with the senses and envelope the
> object comes from puurva meemamsa which Advaita also adopted it. The mind
> going out applies only for a sense of sight and hearing. For the sense of
> touch, taste, and smell, the object comes in contact with the senses
> directly. The senses are part of anthaH karana and hence direct input to
> the mind contributes to its vRitti.
>
> In the final analysis, a vRitti, related to the object, forms in the mind
> with contents of the vRitti corresponds to the sensory input. If the senses
> are defective then the input is also defective (say color blind) then the
> contents of the vRitti depend on the sensory input than the object content
> per sec. This is also the reason when errors in perception can occur since
> the sensory input is incomplete or defective.
>
> In addition, when we see an object we get only the frontal view of the
> object and not total view. If the mind grasps the whole object then the
> whole object should be seen. Also,
> we get a stereo image due to the eyes displaced by 7 deg. In a way, it is
> more accurate to say that the information coming to the eyes than the sense
> of sight going out with the mind to wrap the object.
>
> The basic postulate of Advaita is the consciousness that 'I am' unites
> with the existence of the object as imaged in the vRitti for me to be
> conscious of the existence of the vRitti and therefore conscious of the
> existence of the object out there.
>
> The rest is mechanics which can differ without violating the basics of
> Advaita. Hence Kena says -consciousness is revealed in every thought -
> pratibodha viditam matam. That is what I feel. One can always contest this.
> VP has provided what has been understood up to that point in contrast to
> the other theories of perception.
>
> Hari Om!
> Sadananda

Virus-free.