[Advaita-l] Teachings on the Vijaya Yatra - Teachings of Sri Shankaracharya

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 2 15:33:26 EDT 2020

(Around the beginning of the month, a nugget of Wisdom from the Jagadguru may be posted
on the Chaturamnaya list : http://lists.advaita-vedanta.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/chaturamnaya )

http://vijayayatra.sringeri.net/markapuram-november-10-2012/

Markapuram: NOVEMBER 10-11, 2012

Jagadguru at Markapuram

Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji arrived at Markapuram in Prakasam district
on the evening of November 10. In His Anugraha Bhashanam, the Jagadguru said that He had graced Markapuram
enroute to Srisailam Mahakshetram to stay at Markapuram for a night, perform Chandramoulishwara Puja and
seek the grace of Lord Chandramoulishwara and Goddess Sharada for the welfare of the people of Markapuram.
The Jagadguru expressed joy at the way the residents had made arrangements to receive the Jagadguru in
accordance to Sampradaya (tradition).

Teachings of Sri Shankaracharya

The great philosopher-saint Adi Shankaracharya, an incarnation of Lord Parameshwara, appeared on earth
when Dharma was declining. He was born in Kalady, Kerala. He completed writing His major works by the
age of sixteen, and completed his travels across the country for Dharma Prachara by the time He turned
thirty-two. We do not see such a personality anywhere else. Hence, we respect, revere, and worship Him
to this day.

He has given many instructions and teachings to illuminate the path of welfare for all of us. Even if
we adhere to one of his instructions, we will be benefitted. For instance, the Acharya says:

 मा कुरु धन जन यौवन गर्वम्.

Some have pride because of their wealth, some owing to the authority and power that they wield, some
because of their education or social standing. Because of their pride and ego, people commit blunders.
When Ravana kidnapped Sita, many advised him. His own grandfather advised him to free Sita. He turned
a deaf ear to this advice. He was filled with so much pride that he dismissed the advice given by his
own brother, Vibhishana, as well as the warnings given by Hanuman and Angada. What is the use of his
repentance at the end? The primary reason for his downfall was his ego – the idea that, “No one can do
anything to me. I can indulge in any action.”

The wealthy, the scholarly and the powerful must also realize that there are always people more wealthy,
more scholarly, and more powerful than them.

The Shastras place a high value on humility and state that he who is humble and tolerant is dear to the Lord.

 तृणादपि सुनीचेन तरोरपि सहिष्णुना ।
 अमानिना मानदेन सेवनीयः सदा हरिः ॥

The Lord is to be worshipped with a humble state of mind, thinking oneself to be lower than a blade of grass,
with a tolerance that is more than that of a tree, and devoid of all false prestige.

The Acharya also says that whatever you take pride in will be snatched away by time in a trifle:
हरति निमेषात् कालः सर्वम्. Hence do not have pride in anything. Have we not seen the most wealthy
lose everything and become ordinary? We even pity such people. If you behave as you like relying solely
upon your wealth, power or knowledge, you will only meet your downfall. Remember that the only permanent
thing is the Anugraha of Bhagavan.

Sri Adi Shankaracharya has also asked to be in the company of Satpurushas. A Satpurusha is one who always
sees the good in others, desires the welfare of others, and never thinks of harming others even in their
dreams. Good and bad qualities can be found in every one in the world. No one can be termed as completely
good or bad. We have to focus on the good qualities in others and de-emphasize the bad qualities. Most
people have the habit of looking at the bad qualities in a person even if that person has numerable good
characteristics. However a Satpurusha goes to the extent of focusing on the good qualities even in a sinner.
The Acharya hence recommends the company of Satpurushas – नेयं सज्जनसङ्गे चित्तम् – as we too would
develop their qualities.

The Acharya further instructs – गेयं गीता नामसहस्रम् – Chant the names of God, and do Parayana of
Srimad Bhagavad Gita everyday. Remember the importance of time, for you recover whatever you lose,
except time. Remember also that the human birth is rare to obtain. What can other living beings do?
Can they engage in Dharma or worship the Lord or study or perform charity? Can they remember God and
reflect on His teachings? However, man can engage in Dharma, study good texts, hear good things,
revel in the the Lord’s divine form and chant the names of the Lord. Why do you have a tongue?
Not to speak lies or to insult others or flatter others, but to chant the names of the Lord. Use your legs
to take you to the temple of God, your eyes to feast on the form of the Lord, your mind to worship God.
You will then get benefitted in this world and the next. Stop criticizing others and strive for your welfare.
Engage in serving the God and spend your time in a meaningful manner. If you live like this, your life
becomes pure, useful to others and to yourself too.

The Jagadguru also pointed out that Bhagavan says that one’s own mind when controlled becomes one’s friend
while the uncontrolled mind filled with ego is one’s enemy – आत्मैव ह्यात्मनो बन्धुः आत्मैव रिपुरात्मनः ।

The Jagadguru ended His Anugraha Bhashanam stressing that Sri Adi Shankaracharya who has given us these
teachings intended for our welfare is most worthy of our reverence. The Jagadguru then blessed the devotees
to be Dharmikas.

On the morning of 11th November, the Jagadguru had Darshan of Sri Chenna Keshava Swamy at Markapuram.

Later in the morning, the Jagadguru gave Darshan to all the devotees and then started for Srisailam in the
afternoon.

Starting towards Srisailam, the Jagadguru had Darshan of Goddess Kanyaka Parameshwari in the temple in
Dornala town.