[Advaita-l] CHANDI NAVAKSHARI - DURGA SAPTHASATI

KAMESWARARAO MULA kamesh_ccmb at yahoo.co.in
Sat Oct 5 20:14:41 EDT 2019

Chanda & Munda:  Chandaand Munda denote the Pravritti and Nivritti of the Jiva. The Pravritti andNivritti does not convey the ordinary meaning of extrovertness andintrovertness. Pravritti is the act of reverting back the Mind from Objective& External Pleasures and turning towards the Supreme Consciousness whicharising after the commencement of Self-Enquiry. Chanda denotes this AggressivePhenomenon of this Activity. Nivritti is the tendency to get rid of the Self inthe form of “I-Ness” that shines in the Intellect. This tendency is Munda.

It is with the help of this Introvert Mind by turning away from objectivespleasures (Pravritti) and with the tendency to get rid of “I-ness” in VigyanaMaya Kosa (Nivritti), this “I-ness” or “Aham-Sphurana” gets illumined inIntellect. The sadhaka under the influence of these Pravritti, Nivritti andBhranti, falsely identifies the “I” in Intellect to be his Swa-Swarupa. Thearmy of Pravritti are Ashtanga Yoga. Nivritti has not army which is the methodof Negation ie., “Neti-Neti”, i.e I am this , everything in Mine. In a nutshell, Abhayasa (Practice of Yoga) andVairagya (Dispassion) are the Pravritti and Nivritti for the Nirodha (holdingback the prakasa and kriya).

The Kali, a ray of Supreme Consciousness, thus manifested from Kausiki / Kalika/ Chandika slays the Smoky Vision (Dhumralochana) , Pravritti (Chanda) andNivritti (Munda). Emanation of 8 (Ashta) Matrikas and slaying of 8 Demons. Though, the Bhranti, Abhyasa and Vairagya drops down, the subtle forms of ashtakleshas (8 forms of bondages) still cling to the Karana Deha (causal body).Without annihilation of these 8 bondages, there are traces of “Conditional Ego”in the Jiva that is the bottleneck for his merger with Ishwara. These ashtakleshas or 8 bonds / fetters that bind the Jiva in the phenomenal existence orsamsara are : 1) Ghrina (Hate), 2) Lajja (Shame), 3) Bhaya (Fear), 4) Shankaa (Doubt), 5)Jugupsaa (Reproach), 6) Kula Abhimana (Caste), 7) Jaati (Creed), 8) Sheela(Modesty). They are represented by the Asuras Udyudha, Kambu, Kotivirya,Dhaumra, Kalaka, Daurhruda, Maurya, Kalakeya respectively. Any consciousnesswhich is bound by these 8 bondages is called Jiva.  These 8 types of demons are under the control of Shumbha and Nishumbha that areAsmitha (I-ness) and Mamakara (Possessiveness) .

Mahasaraswathi severs these 8 pasas / bondages with the helpof her 8 aspects of Vidya Vrittis of Ashta (8) Matrikas and grants theswa-swarupa jnana. She manifests these 8 vidya vrittis, each vidya vrittisevering each of the Pasa / bondage. Thus, her 8 hands and the weapons sheholds are meant to sever the 8 bondages. Her 8 vidya murtis or 8 matrikas are:

1) Brahmi 2) Maheshwari 3) Kaumari 4) Vaishnavi 5) Varahi 6) Narasimhi 7)Indrani 8) Chamunda.
Unless, these 8 bonds are severed, the sense of I-ness and My-ness that areShumbha and Nishumbha (these qualities are the two sides of same coin and hencethey are brothers) would be conquered, which is a barrier to become Ishwara.

Indivual on his own can't become  Ishwara.GURU can only make the Jiva to become Ishwara,
Sri Guru Padaravindarpana Mastu Kameswara

For assistance, contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org