[Advaita-l] Verses for Narasimha Jayanti- Nrsimhastava

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Fri May 17 05:26:03 EDT 2019

Praveenji,

Thanks for your response.

In my understanding, the above two verses make a single anvaya. If that is
so, with the iti in verse 10, shouldn't all of non-neuter words, viz.
harim, tam and devam, be in prathamA? Or without iti, the word AtmA be in
dvitIyA? >> When iti is used to form a predicate of an object, the
predicate is put in the nominative case (prathamAvibhakti), while the
object may be in the accusative case. Examples from the literature are: svargo
loka iti yaM vadanti (AV), vidarbharAjatanayAM damayantI iti mAM viddhi
(Mahabharata), taM agniShToma iti AcakShate (Aitareya Brahmana) etc. >नृसिंहेति
परं मन्त्रं तारकं ब्रह्मसम्मितम्।

* ब्रह्महत्यादिपापघ्नमिति शास्त्रविदो विदुः॥१४॥*>
>Here too, wouldn't the iti-pada need the puMlinga word mantra, etc, in
>prathamA? In this case, the word nRsimha is a sambodhana, so nRsimheti is
fine. There are instances where a mantra contains such sambodhana.
shrirAmarAmarAmeti
rame rAme manorame, etc. Anand