[Advaita-l] Verses for Narasimha Jayanti- Nrsimhastava

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Fri May 17 04:03:37 EDT 2019

Namaste Anandji,

Thank you for authoring and sharing these wonderful verses on
Nrsimhajayanti with such variety of content, some of which I am still
trying to get into fully, especially due to a lack of understanding of the
metres. Meanwhile, may I ask a couple of grammatical clarifications as
below?

On Fri, May 17, 2019 at 10:42 AM Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <

> जाग्रत्स्वप्नसुषुप्तिभ्यः परं ज्ञानघनं हरिम्।
> शान्तं तं शिवमद्वैतं प्रपञ्चोपशमं विभुम्॥९॥
>
> केवलं निर्गुणं देवं निष्क्रियं निरुपाधिकम्।
> तुर्यमात्मेति मन्यन्ते जीवन्मुक्ता मनीषिणः॥१०॥

In my understanding, the above two verses make a single anvaya. If that is
so, with the iti in verse 10, shouldn't all of non-neuter words, viz.
harim, tam and devam, be in prathamA? Or without iti, the word AtmA be in
dvitIyA?

नृसिंहेति परं मन्त्रं तारकं ब्रह्मसम्मितम्।
> ब्रह्महत्यादिपापघ्नमिति शास्त्रविदो विदुः॥१४॥

Here too, wouldn't the iti-pada need the puMlinga word mantra, etc, in
prathamA?

> ॥ श्रीलक्ष्मीनृसिंहार्पणमस्तु ॥

Incidentally, LakshmiNrsimha is the kuladevatA on my mother's side whose
darshana my mother had last month after around 40 years!

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */