[Advaita-l] Partlessness of Brahman and Maya

Praveen R. Bhat bhatpraveen at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 02:58:52 EDT 2019

Namaste Sudhanshuji,

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 11:44 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar <sudhanshu.iitk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> You mean a niravayava stuff can be perishable?

No. I don't think the bhAShya hetu reads the same way as it does for you.
Shankaranandi takes one meaning as न विद्यते आदिमविकारः जनिलक्षणो भावधर्मो
यस्य सोनादिः। निरवयवत्वात् अजः। अजो नित्यः इति श्रुतेः। So the hetu works
better the other way round. Thats why Bhagavan Bhashyakara says निरवयव इति
कृत्वा। So the question should be whether Maya can be taken as निरवयवा।

> There are several bhAshya statements to the contrary.

True.

> (My objection is that you say niravaya is not sufficient as per bhAshya)

I didn't say that at all! I said that one hetu in the shloka is not
sufficient. That is anAdi before nirguNa. brahman is both, while Maya is
the former but not the latter. In any case, the type of anAdi that Maya is
isn't the same as that brahman is.

Kind rgds,
--Praveen R. Bhat
That owing to which all this is known! [Br.Up. 4.5.15] */