[Advaita-l] Partlessness of Brahman and Maya

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Sun Jun 16 02:09:46 EDT 2019

On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 11:35 AM Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <

> Namaste Sudhanshuji,
>
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2019 at 10:07 AM Sudhanshu Shekhar via Advaita-l <
>
> > Brahman is held as anAdi and niravayava. In Gita 13.32, BhashhakAra
> > says -- यद्धि
> > आदिमत् तत् स्वेन आत्मना व्येति अयं तु अनादित्वात् निरवयव इति कृत्वा न
> > व्येति।
> >
> > So the logic for being avyaya is being niravayava which in turn is by
> > virtue of being anAdi. So anAditva => niravayavatva => avyayatva.
> >
> > Now question arises regarding MAyA or avidyA. What are they? They are
> also
> > held to be anAdi. (AnAdi avidyA trigunAtmikA parA). So they should also
> be
> > niravayava and hence avyaya. But is that so? They certainly are
> destroyed.
> > Aren't they?
> >

> Bhagavan Bhashyakara expects such a doubt and answers in the next line
> itself: तथा निर्गुणत्वात् । सगुणो हि गुणव्ययात् व्येति
>
> Maya is त्रिगुणात्मिका। So गुणव्ययात् व्यति।

Praveen ji,

Can we say the above with respect to the mula prakriti maya as it is
admitted to remain over during pralaya as the support/container of all
jivas/beings that existed in the previous cycle, and will be ejected out
from this abode in the next creation cycle? At  pralaya it is called
avyakta.  What I think is meant in the above line cited by you is that it
is applicable to all created entities and not to the very kaaraNam that is
prakriti.

warm regards
subbu