[Advaita-l] गुरुपूर्णिमा शुभाशयाः

Venkata sriram P venkatasriramp at yahoo.in
Wed Jul 17 01:24:55 EDT 2019

vyAsa pourNami is only of little importance for grihasthas

One's own दीक्षागुरुः should be worshipped on this day. Those who are initiated in shrIvidya, should perform
गुरुमण्डलार्चना or else one's own acharya who taught us Veda / Bhagavat Gita / Upanishads etc. should be
worshipped.

Bhagavan Vyasa Himself says that He gets तृप्ति and says that when one's immediate guru / acharya is
worshipped, it reaches Him only.

मम जन्मदिने सम्यक् पूजनीयः प्रयत्नतः आषाढ शुक्लपक्षे तु पूर्णिमायां गुरौ तथा पूजनीयो विशेषेण,
वस्त्राभरणधेनुभिः दक्षिणाभिः सुपुष्ठाभिः मत्स्वरूपं प्रपूजयेत् । एवं कृतं त्वया विप्र मत्स्वरूपस्य दर्शनं  भविष्यति,
न संदेहो मयैवोक्तं द्विजोत्तम ।

So, we should worship our own guru by offering him new clothes, dakshina etc.

The traditional & orthodox grihasthas also observe चातुर्मास्यव्रतम् where some selected food items
should be avoided like spinach, curd, milk and certain pulses.

Thus, व्यास पूर्णिमा is for all irrespective of one's ashrama-niyamas.

rgs,
sriram