[Advaita-l] गुरुपूर्णिमा शुभाशयाः

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Jul 16 14:59:25 EDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019, Raghav Kumar Dwivedula via Advaita-l wrote:

> On a different note -
> I heard a vaidika who is a vaadyaar teaching in a Tamil Nadu Gurukulam say
> that vyAsa pourNami is only of little importance for grihasthas and it's
> traditiobally regarded as meaningful only for sannyAsins. Is this strange
> idea prevalent only in Tamil Nadu?

For Sannyasis the Ashadha purnima is the beginning of chaturmasa vrata
when those who are parivrajas (wanderers) have to settle in one place.
Sannyasis are the real Advaitins, the rest of us however much we might
know are amateurs. So it is of great importance for them to recall the
Sadguru Paramapara today. For grhasthas, Chaturmasa begins on Prabodhini
Ekadashi and arguably that is a more important day for us in practical
terms.  But "only a little importance" is a stretch to far in my opinion.
We also have an obligation to pay respects to the sanatana lineage from
Narayana to Veda Vyas to Shankaracharya to the acharyas of the past and
finally to our own acharyas because we will be the ones to keep that
parampara going into the future.