[Advaita-l] Is there Tapta Mudra Dharana in Srivaishnava Sampradaya?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 02:19:04 EDT 2019

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 10:31 AM Venkatesh Murthy via Advaita-l <

> Namaste
>
> I like to know Is there Tapta Mudra Dharana in Srivaishnava Sampradaya of
> Iyengars? Some people say No some people say Yes. But I got no
> authoritative answer. Madhvas are getting ready for large scale Tapta Mudra
> Dharana on Prathama Ekadasi coming next week.

https://www.indiadivine.org/content/topic/1543822-sri-vedanta-desika-on-tapa-mudras/

//SrI VEdAnta DESika's Saccharitra-raksha deals with this

issue. It has three chapters :

1. SudarSana-aadi-dhAraNa-adhikAraH {Chapter on the bearing

of SudarSana <chakra> etc <symbols on the body> }.

In this chapter, lots of objections are considered against the

tApa-samskAra <as practised by SrI-VaishNavas> and appropriate

refutations are presented. It is filled with Copious quotations

(actually " mind-boggling " will be the befitting adjective for

this case) from all the four vEdas with the explanations as

found in the upa-brahmanas like pAn~carAtra samhitas, many

smrutis, purANas, HarivamSa/IthihAsa and even from upa-purANas.

My article on SamASrayaNam contains a sub-set of these
quotations.//

regards
subbu