[Advaita-l] Question about Sri Vidyaranya's JMV & jnani matra

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 7 21:51:41 EDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 12:42 AM H S Chandramouli via Advaita-l <

> On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 1:03 PM Anand Hudli via Advaita-l <
>
> <<  They seem to
> be saying that fruits of actions cannot be granted by Apurva or karma
> *alone*, thereby not ruling out the case where Ishvara is the adhiShThAna
> for Apurva. In fact, this is made clear in the gItA-bhAShya 3.14-15, where
> Shankara says yajna is Apurva and goes on say that such yajna/Apurva is the
> result of activities of the Rtviks and yajamAna. These activities are
> prescribed in the Veda, which itself arises from Brahman. Hence, we may
> conclude that Apurva, though an unintelligent entity has an intelligent
> entity, Ishvara as its adhiShThAna  >>,
>
> Is not apUrva  located in avidya or avyAkRta ?  That is what Sri
> Sureswaracharya states in his vArtika, assuming that apUrva  in this
> context is synonymous with karma. Nodoubt this has Brahman as adhiShThana.

Please see the text from Kena Upanishad quoted by Raghavji. The analogy
used in Kena is that of master-servant. Just as service rendered to a
master by a servant creates an impression in the  mind of the master, who
then rewards the servant accordingly, a yajna/karma performed creates a
mental impression in Ishvara, who then bestows the doer of the karma with
the appropriate result. It should be clear that we are talking about
Ishvara as the giver of results of karma, and also witnessing the actions
of all. Hence, there is no need to speculate otherwise.

Anand