[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 29 07:21:39 EST 2018

praNAms Sri Ravi Kiran prabhuji
Hare Krishna
Sorry for the very belated reply.  Just today got some free time to look at the mails :
I must say here I am only sharing my thoughts based on the traditional belief (or should  I say most popular belief) that advocates jnAni-s deha dhAsraNa (not ofcourse from the ajnAnis’ point of view) his avidyA lesha like digbhrAnti, his prArabdha karma, his rAga dvesha etc.  Infact I have my own reservations with regard to all this  which are not so tenable to the most of the advaitins ☺ Lot of things has been discussed with regard to jnAni’s BMI and his rAga-dvesha but in vain ☺ While on the subject, br.up somewhere says, when all the desires residing in one’s heart have been got rid of, then the mortal becomes immortal and brahman here in this life.  Just as the cast-off slough of a snake would lie lifeless in an ant-hill, so also does the body of the enlightened person lie there and he is NOW BODILESS (ashareeri) the prANa, brahman alone, the light of pure consciousness alone.  But statements like this has comfortably tagged to inert state like nirvikalpa samAdhi to get the verbatim meaning of bhAshyakAra.  Whereas it is saying the intrinsic nature of ashareeratvaM is revealed as soon as svarUpa jnana dawns.

Will it not call for steadying that svarUpa jnAna  which is illumined without any further samshaya or viparyaya?

Ø    jnana is not the result of any action.  jnana which we are talking here is nor any objective knowledge where pramAtru, prameya, pramANa triputi involved.  It is svarUpa jnana when this is realized, it removes the very knowership of Atman (i.e. jnAtrutva vide shankara bhAshya in geeta).  So obviously question remains is : after svarUpa jnana who is going to or has to  steady this  jnana or who has to keep its intensity intact by constantly and repetitively remembering this jnana??  There is a statement with regard to this topic : vijnAya prajnAm kurveeta…And there is an elaborated discussion on this very subject.  Kindly search the archives some of the best brains in Advaita have shared their thoughts on this very interesting subject.

  And the same Upanishad subsequently says the person who know HIM directly in this manner desiring what??

There is a reference in Brih. upanishad regarding YAGYavalkya taking to pravrajyA (Vidvat)  for steadiness in jnAna ?

Ø     BTW, as per some famous Advaita prakaraNa this sage is not brahmavidvarishTa.  His longing for cows in the story, made him somewhat inferior to paripUrNa jnAni ☺  I am not saying this, as said, some authoritative source in tradition voiced the opinion like this.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
Bhaskar