[Advaita-l] The Foundations of Adhyāsa - 8 (The Three States)

Bhaskar YR bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu Nov 15 07:09:16 EST 2018

rest in the “ Fourth State “??. If all the three states are renounced, does not that  entity also stand renounced.  Or Adhyasa itself should “ rest “ in the “ Fourth State “ ??

praNAms
Hare Krishna

If I am not an intruder in this thread, would like to clarify my understanding that the 'fourth state' is NOT another state apart from three known states (avasthA traya) and the jnana is not limited  only in that fourth separate state ??  shankara elsewhere in bhAshya clarifies tureeya is not a separate state it is the state where the samyag darshana or samyag jnana holds sway.  Afterall bhAshyakAra clarifies that jnAnAvasthA (tureeya avastha) is not avasthAteeta or vyavahAra abhAva state it is sublated state (bAdhita vyavahAra) where Atman is everything.  By the way adhyAsa (anyathA grahaNa and saMshaya) is absent in sushupti as well, what remains in this state is jnAnAbhAva (agrahaNa) which is termed as mUlAvidyA with different definitions by later vyAkhyAnakAra-s.  And he is the tureeyaM  who is shivaM, shAntaM advaitaM --chaturtham manyante..And this tureeyAtman is kriyAkAraka phala shUnyaM because tureeyAtman is having the all encompassed vision i.e sarvAtma bhAva / samyak darshana.

Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar