[Advaita-l] source of a sloka or quotation

Raghav Kumar Dwivedula raghavkumar00 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 02:14:42 EDT 2018

Namaste Subbu ji , Durga ji
It's interesting to see it figure in Chanakya Neeti. Is there any material
about moxa puruShArtha in this work?

It's a beautiful verse which embodies the advaitic vision that viGYAnam is
more than just an experience which merely arises in seated meditation;
rather, it's well assimilated self-knowledge which pervades all vRttis
which arise in the antaHkaraNam.

This verse figures in shrI bhArati tIrtha's dRg-dRshya-viveka which is a
text which borrows extensively from  shruti viz., the
saraswatI-rAhasyopaniShat which has a somewhat similar verse -
एतैः समाधिभिः षड्भिर्नयेत्कालं निरन्तरम ।
देहाभिमाने गलिते विज्ञाते परमात्मनि ।
यत्र यत्र मनो याति तत्र तत्र परामृतम् ॥ ३१॥
(सरस्वतीरहस्योपनिषदि)
May one always invest one's time in the practice of these six different
types of samAdhi meditation. When the identification with the body (thus)
drops off and the paramAtman is known, (then) wherever the mind moves,
there is the ('experience' of) parAmRtaM.

It's instructive to see how the practice and accomplishment of various
types of samAdhi is endorsed and encouraged by such shruti vAkyas and then
there is also transcendence of any specific seated vedantic meditation
practices - yatra yatra mano yAti etc..

This nuance is sometimes glossed over by many people who critique or
disparage samAdhi-abhyAsa since they may not have the necessary antaHkaraNa
shuddhi needed to accomplish the vedantic samAdhis described in the
upaniShad.

Om
Raghav

On Wed 9 May, 2018, 6:50 AM V Subrahmanian via Advaita-l, <