[Advaita-l] Core Advaita in the Srimad Bhaagavatam

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 11:34:21 EDT 2018

Here is a discussion on the question of Bhagavatam not being cited by
Ramanuja:

https://hinduism.stackexchange.com/questions/19746/why-did-ramanujacharya-adi-shankaracharya-never-refer-to-the-srimad-bhagavatam

// Ramanuja was a great propagandist of the Pancharatra Agama and he must
have considered the Vishnu Purana as offering better support for it than
the Bhagavata, whose acceptance of Siva almost on a par with Vishnu must
have been considered as militating against his theology.//

And about the Bhagavatam being cited much earlier:

// Prof B. N. Krishnamurti Sarma has something of interest to say on the
date of Bhagavata Purana, based on his research work on external evidence
for the same, in his learned work on the subject in the *Annals of the
Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute of Poona* Vol XIV, 1932-33. He
states that Gaudapada (7th century) in his commentary on Uttara Gita refers
to the Bhagavata Purana in the course of his commentary on II, 46 of the
text, quoting the following hemistich: *taduktam bhagavate: tesamasau klesa
eva sisyate, nanyadyatha sthulatusavaghatinam.* This line is to be
identified with the second line of Bh X.14.4, which is as follows: *tesamasau
klesa evasisyate nanyadyatha sthulatusavaghatinam. //*

*regards*
*subbu*