[Advaita-l] What do we interact with as people?

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 10:22:47 EDT 2018

As a further thought about the following post, here is a verse from the
Aparokshanubhuti of Shankara:

Sarvopi vyavaharasthu brahmana kriyathe janai ,

Ajnananna vijanathi mrudheva hi ghatadhikam. 65

All vyavahara by people is with Brahman alone but owing to ignorance it is
not realized just as while dealing with pot, etc.the cognition that it is
actually clay alone is not had.

Shankara makes a profound statement when he says that.  Since there is
Brahman alone and nothing other than that, all vyavahara, scriptural and
worldly, happens 'in' Brahman. What does this mean: All factors involved in
any action, mental, verbal and bodily, it is Brahman alone appearing as
those factors. The doer, what is done, the doing, the result, everything,
on the lines of 'Brahma arpanam, the act of offering, the offered
object,Brahmaa havih, Brahma agni, the one who offers is Brahman.  The
Shruti teaches that in all effects, it is only the material cause that is
real and the effects known by names and forms is mere words that have no
substantial thing to show.

Thus, while the body-mind complex is inert and prakriti form one angle,
from another, more fundamental angle, everything is Brahman, being vivarta
of Brahman.

Om Tat Sat