[Advaita-l] Who Is the Ultimate GOD in Vedic dharma ?

Sujal Upadhyay sujal.u at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 13:11:51 EST 2018

Pranams Praveen ji,

uttarAyaNam concept is very old and is mentioned in brief in gItA (BG
8.24). As a rule, if I have any doubts in Sankara bhAshya, always refer to
SrI madhusudana sarasvatI's commentary :)

Also the explanation of agni is given in  same sloka.

Please refer sloka-s 8.23-28 or preferably from 8.21 to 28

The gist of uttrAraNam is that it belongs to the path of light or sun or
shukla, whereas opposite path is path of smoke or darkness or kRSNa or
pitr-s (ansestors) - daxNAyaNa. Those who practice karma-kANda selflessly,
if the die during daxiNAyaNa, even they return back after enjoying fruits
of karma, while those who die during uttarAyaNa period i.e. six months
after winter solstice / northern solstice, after 14th-15th January, they do
not return.

Here an objection is raised in BG 8.23 that in previous sloka BG 8.16, it
is said that  ... all the places of enjoyment (bhoga), together with the
world of brahmA jI are subject to return, then who is it said here that
those on the northern path or path of light / agni do not return.

madhusudana sarasvatI replies, that those of are on southern path or lunar
path will definitely return. However, whose on solar path may return but
there is a chance that they may not return. Those who are worshippers of
murti-s or mantra-s (pratika upAsanA e.g. OM, or bIja mantra-s, paurANika
mantra-s) or those who practice karma kANDa and meditate on 5 fires, etc,
without being worshippers of saguNa Brahman i.e. those of nirguNa Brahman
return, but those who meditate on Brahman in the dahara (small space within
the spiritual heart) get liberated after extinction of enjoyment. Hence
there is gradual release or kramic mukti.

OM

Sujal

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 8:18 PM, Praveen R. Bhat via Advaita-l <