[Advaita-l] darshanas - older and later

V Subrahmanian v.subrahmanian at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 21:04:26 EST 2018

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:03 PM, D.V.N.Sarma డి.వి.ఎన్.శర్మ via Advaita-l <

> Out of the 6 nastika darsanas and 6 astika darsanas only
> Purvamimamsa directly  and exclusively concerns itself with dharma.
> Of the other five astika darsanas Uttaramimamsa endorses the position of
> Purvamimamsa in a qualified and restricted way.
> The other 4 astika darsanas Sankhya, Yoga, Nyaya, Vaiseshika just accept
> vedas as authoritative but concern themselves with philosophical questions.

It can also be added that while dvaita and vishishtadvaita have adopted the
'bheda' model of sankhya, yoga, nyaya and vaisheshika, Advaita has based
its system on the Upanishads that uphold abheda.  The grouping of the
created world into various tattvas has been well laid out by the Sankhya
and Advaita, based on the Bhagavadgita, acknowledges the same. The
practices for controlling the mind, etc. as systematized by the Yoga
darshana is also non-contradictory to Advaita.

regards
subbu